Stobs was one of many Army camps used after the war for short or long-term accommodation of Polish ex-servicemen and their families. Many thousands of Poles decided not to return to Poland after the war, because of fears about the communist government’s attitude to men who had fought with the Allies. In 1947 the Polish military was transferred from its individual units into the newly-formed Polish Resettlement Corps (the PKPR – Polski Korpus Przysposobienia i Rozmieszczenia).
The 10th Polish Heavy Artillery Regiment arrived at Stobs and their unit history records: “Stobs camp presented all the characteristics of an exile camp. Situated remotely in the hills, far away from settlements and road links it made a gloomy impression on us. The so called ‘fun houses’ made of sheet-metal, already heavily riddled with holes and leaking during frequent rains occurring here and hardly heatable during cold spells or winter time proved the last straw. A small more cosily located and better equipped section of the camp was intended for a group of German POWs who had still been staying here.”
Stobs was designated as one of about 20 Infantry Training Centres, ‘ITC’, for the Territorial Army after the war. The first training of Territorials appears to have started in 1947. However, in 1951, Stobs welcomed some men of the ‘Z’ Reserve. The Korean War prompted the call-up for training of the ‘Z Reserve’, which comprised officers and other ranks who had served in the British Army between 3 September 1939 and 31 December 1948, and who, if under 45 years of age, were liable to recall. This coincided with the purchase of Priesthaugh, Skelfhill and Sundhope in February 1951 and of Penchrise and Shankend in June 1951 by the War Department for additional training ground. Some 15000 acres were added to the area of Stobs Camp.
However, just six years later, it was announced in Parliament in March, 1957, that 20,200 acres out of 21,500 held at Stobs by the War Department was to be sold.
No official explanation was given for the effective closure of Stobs Camp.