Berwickshire News and General Advertiser – War Office purchases Stobs Castle
14 October 1902
It is announced that the Government intends to purchase the ancient Border home of the Eliott’s at Stobs Castle, three and a half miles from Hawick. Some 3,600 acres have been already obtained but sundry other farms, once included within the patrimonial bounds, are also now required by the War Office. It is proposed to construct a large military camp on the estate. The location was chosen as the country around Stobs is highly suitable for the purposes of manoeuvring troops due to its broken and mountainous character. The owner of Stobs Estate, Sir William F A Eliott, the eighth and present baronet was born at Stobs in 1827 and became an Ensign in 93rd Highlanders in 1845. He married in December 1846 Charlotte Maria, daughter of Robert Wood of Quebec who died on the 29th November 1878. Sir William married again on 22nd April 1879, to a Hannah Grissell, widow of Henry Kelsall, and daughter of H T Birkett of Foxbury, Surrey. Sir William has a daughter by his first marriage and has not resided at Stobs for over a quarter of a century.